Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Exfoliators & Anti-oxidants


Recently, I have been getting a lot of comments from colleagues, friends, even from a beauty waxer about my skin. I have already been in the working field for more than 4 years but a lot of people still mistake me for being a graduate or even a university student.

After pondering over this, I realised what 3 skin ingredients / products that I should give credit to.



I've mentioned about Paula Begoun at an earlier post and I use some of her products. This is definitely one product that in terms of price and what it does, is the best that I've found in the market.

This is a BHA product, also known as salicylic acid. This is a gentle exfoliant that exfoliates both the surface of the skin and also inside the pore. I use to have quite visible pores and blackheads with an oily T-zone. Ever since I started using this, my pores have more or less disappeared and I hardly get pimples anymore other than the occasional ones when I get stressed at work. This is best for skin prone to blemishes and blackheads.

Using this is much better than using a scrub as it is much gentler on the skin and it is able to penetrate the pores to work on any dirt on the inside. I use it daily and don't use a facial scrub anymore. This is also at a pH level of 3.2 which is optimal for effective exfoliation. A lot of BHA products in the market has either too little of the BHA or are not at the optimum pH level. A whole bottle lasts me a year and is definitely value for money.

I've recommended this to friends and after 3-4 months, their skin has cleared up considerably. Both my female and male friends have since receive compliments and it was their turn to rave about this product. This BHA comes at a strength level of 1% or 2% and comes in either gel or liquid form depending on your preference.

This is one product that I cannot be without and will always use. Do not expect a miracle straightaway as it takes at least 3-4 months for any visible results. Initially, it helps to clear your skin and you continue to use this to maintain your skin. Exfoliation can only reach a certain level before it stays that way. Don't think that it's no longer working, it's still working to maintain it.

I was really busy during a period and stopped using it for a few weeks and I saw a difference in my skin after. I resumed using it and the glow has returned.




The other product that I use is the AHA lotion from her as well. This contains 8% glycolic acid that works to exfoliate the outer surface of the skin to reveal beautifully smooth and healthy skin. I used this to help remove minor spots and freckles and keep my skin smooth.

You can use both products on your body wherever there are break outs as well.

Both AHAs and BHA affect the top layers of skin, and they help to improve the appearance of sun-damaged, dry, and/or thickened skin. Removing this dead layer can improve skin texture and color, unclog pores, and allow moisturizers to be better absorbed by the skin.


What is the difference between AHA & BHA?

The primary difference between AHAs and BHA is that AHAs are water-soluble, while BHA is lipid-(oil) soluble. This unique property of BHA allows it to penetrate the oil in the pores and exfoliate accumulated skin cells inside the oil gland that can clog pores. BHA is best used where blackheads and blemishes are the issue, and AHAs are best for sun-damaged, thickened, dry skin where breakouts are not a problem.
To understand more about these exfoliants, check out this article, "Understanding Exfoliants" here.

Ever since I started using the AHA and BHA, my make up slides on smoothly and I don't even use make up sometimes and just dab on sunscreen before leaving for work.



Lastly, I use moisturisers that are loaded with Antioxidants. Antioxidants are ingredients such as vitamins A, C, and E; superoxide dismutase; flavonoids; beta carotene; glutathione; selenium; and zinc. It helps to keep your skin looking youthful and delay the ageing process.


I think that it is a combination of this 3 which allows my skin to stay youthful and glow even on bare skin. Of course, there are other steps such as cleansers and masks which helps but there are many in the market which are good at all price level while the first 2 products are not easy to find a good one and which most people overlook.




In or around Australia, you can buy the AHA & BHA here.


In or around Singapore, you can buy here:

Paula's Choice Singapore

Telephone: +65 9068 3333



For other countries, please go to here.

4 comments on "Exfoliators & Anti-oxidants"

Pinkbuble on February 23, 2009 at 2:23 AM said...

Hi, i wonder where can i get this paula's choice product in Singapore? do they sell it in Watson's or guardian?

Thanks

sarynkay on February 23, 2009 at 10:52 AM said...

Hi, You can get Paula's choice in Singapore as well.

This is their website www.paulaschoice.com.sg

Anonymous said...

it is? or is it just a contact to purchase from the US?

sarynkay on August 14, 2009 at 3:02 AM said...

You can definitely buy it from the singapore website. I have purchased from them before. They already have the stock in Singapore

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Diamonds n Duds Discoveries Along The Way Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez